Invitation to pledge support for the community buy-out of farmland abutting Hawkwood College land on the West, North and South. It’s now or never!
Hammonds Farm is now for sale, as from 1st June. This arable and beef farm is within close walking distance of Stroud. It surrounds Hawkwood College land on the North, West and South. The Biodynamic Land Trust is working with local farmers and organisations to see if together we can secure the land as a community asset.
This is a rare opportunity to secure a beautiful area of land on the doorstep of Stroud town for environmental, economic and community benefit and we need your help to make it happen.
What are we trying to do? We need to raise £360,000 to buy this land.
Why? The local community is bursting with people with food growing initiatives. If this land can be secured, then we can co-create a new ‘Stroud Valleys Farm’ (Name TBA). This will support a range of existing activities and generate new projects such as:
- Stroud Community Agriculture to increase food production with more land
- A starter farm for young entrant farmers
- A cluster of farm enterprises producing a range of good food from farm animals, arable and horticulture, addressing local needs for vegetables, dairy, meat and soft fruit
The potential benefits for the local community are huge:
- Sustainable organic, biodynamic farming that improves soil fertility, reduces the carbon footprint and increases food quality
- Community connected activities through permissive access, festivals, events, volunteering, arts activities and therapy/care farming
- Enhanced landscape, biodiversity, wildlife and environmental value that will make the farm into a special place, a ‘green oasis’
- Education and training in sustainable agriculture, horticulture and ecology
How can we secure this land? Please RSVP by 18 June telling us what support you can give e.g.:
- Pledging to invest £250 in community shares (10 instalments possible)
- Investing in ‘an acre share’ at approx.£9,000 an acre
- Making a long or short term interest free loan
- Making a gift to help raise the share offer, feasibility and business planning costs
- Helping organise and publicise the community buy-out
- Passing this Invitation to Pledge on to friends, colleagues and family
You are invited to view the farm on 17 June at 4pm, meeting at the Hawkwood College gates, Wick Street. Some of us will walk there from Star Anise Café, departing at 3.30pm. If we have raised at least £75,000 in pledges by 18 June, then the BDLT will match this sum, and decide to go ahead with contacting you with a Community Share Offer. There will be updates on the www.biodynamiclandtrust.org.uk website and the BDLT Blog.
If and when the bid is accepted, we will contact those who have made pledges.
This is a crucial moment in Stroud’s history of community ownership, which goes back to raising public subscriptions for building the Sub Rooms.
Please join us to secure this community farm.
Martin Large, Director
RSVP your support or pledge here: