The Biodynamic Land Trust is delighted to announce the addition of Springham Farm, near Hailsham in East Sussex, to the Land Trust’s portfolio of properties. The 229-acre holding was acquired thanks to a generous benefactor and new tenants, Springham Grove LLP, have exciting plans for the future. They plan to create an inspiring, regenerative, biodynamic farm for the mutual benefit of humans and nature that can be replicated elsewhere.
More than 200 acres of the farm is grassland, with occasional copses and a selection of ponds. The property includes a farmhouse and several sizeable barns. Previously family owned, the farm has supported a number of farming activities over the past years. The River Cuckmere runs through the farm, creating wetland/water meadows. In addition, there are many trees and hedgerows with a diversity of plants and wildlife.
Springham Grove plan to invest in the farm over the coming years and in doing so will be applying the following values:
- Rewilding and use of regenerative systems, optimising biodiversity;
- The use of natural processes wherever possible;
- Aiming to be carbon positive and energy neutral;
- Planning to be financially sustainable;
- Seeking to be diverse, resilient and nurturing of creativity;
- Embracing, reconnecting and regenerating the next generation;
- Use of biodynamic farming principles and practices.
The Trust continues to respond to an increasing number of enquiries from those already involved in or those wanting to engage in regenerative agriculture. We are actively linking farms, projects, and those seeking land. In addition, we offer a listening ear and advice to those in need regarding land, succession, business development and more. The continued and generous support of the Trust’s members and supporters enables this essential capability.